- Meeting Dates
- October 25-28 2011
- Official Web-Site
Please bookmark this website. New information will be added to the web site regularly.
- Official Language
- Official language of the meeting and of correspondence is English. There will be no simultaneous translation.
- Meeting Venue
- Harbiye Military Museum and Cultural Center
(Askerî Müze ve Kültür Sitesi Komutanlığı)
Address: Valikonağı Caddesi 34373, Harbiye, Istanbul, TURKEY
Phone : +90 212 233 27 20
Fax : +90 212 296 86 18
Web : www.tsk.tr/muze_internet/askeri_muze.htm
The Harbiye Military Museum is located just north of Taksim, and is within walking distance to many local attractions and shopping centers. Old part of the city, where Topkapi Palace, Grand Bazaar and many other historic sites are within 20 min. taxi drive. A leisurely walk to the Taksim takes about 10 minutes Bosphorus shore about 15 minutes. Istanbul Military Museum (Turkish: Askeri Müze) is dedicated to one thousand years of Turkish military history. It is one of the leading museums of its kind in the world.
The military museum is an enormous 2 story building that houses countless military artifacts from Turkey's Byzantine and Ottoman past, as well as from the Republic. The top floor is a monument to the splendor of the Ottoman army. There are rooms full of armour, guns, swords, cavalry equipment, and a Turco-German friendship corner that commemorates the cooperation between the two during World War-I.
On the top floor there is also a room dedicated to Atatürk, as well as his old military school classroom. Also on the top floor is another of one of the most impressive sites, the giant chain that the Byzantines used to block off the Golden Horn during the Ottoman seige of Istanbul. The bottom floor contains an amazing display of captured flags from Italy, Britian, Byzantium, as well as others. There are also some of the imperial pavillions, as well as a giant wall in which are carved all the major battle of Turkish history, everything from Manzikiert, to the Seiges of Vienna, to Gallipoli.
One of the main reasons to come to the military museum is to see a performance by the "mehter" who were the Ottoman military band, and supposedly the first military band in history.
- Certificate of Attendance
- Attendance certificates will be distributed.
- You will receive a personalized badge when collecting your registration documents. During the Meeting, this badge must be clearly visible at all the times and grants access to the scientific sessions and the commercial exhibition.
- Letter of Invitation
- On request, the ISoP 2011 Organizational Secretariat Serenas Tourism will be pleased to send letters of invitation to individual scientists. This letter, however, does not constitute any commitment by the Meeting Organizers to cover registration fees, accommodation, travel expenses or other costs connected to the participation in the meeting. ISoP 2011 Organizational Secretariat will not be held responsible for visas not granted.
The invitation letters will only be provided to those who have already paid their registration fees.